Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Title goes here.

Story:

There isn't a whole lot more to update folks on right now. Due to my new job, I only have two days a week to work on the tiny house, so updates may become even more sparse than they have been. In order to stay updated but not have to check in and be disappointed a whole bunch with no new content, I suggest subscribing to the blog :D

Two things happened of import in the past week; One tiny house related and one not so much. The not so much part is that I finally received my diploma from Evergreen. Hooray! I guess! It's certainly the most expensive piece of paper I've ever held. With my receipt finally in hand, I am officially finished with college.

Second, I've gotten the new rough sawn pine for the exterior siding and have been working on getting that ready to go. They were really dirty, so I had to powerwash them all down. They all cleaned up beautifully and are now looking really nice. As an added bonus, because they were sitting outside in Arizona for 2+ years, they had already acclimated to the hellish heat out here and, after a good wash, returned right back to being straight as an arrow.


After that, they'll require sanding, notching (which means using a table saw (which I need to acquire) equipped with a dado blade with a 3/8" kerf to cut out the notches to turn the boards from this into something like this.

Schematics:

I'd like to point out here that Tumbleweed Tiny House Co. founder Jay Schafer claims that he has built a dozen small houses using only 14 tools. They are: Skill saw, jig saw, pliers, files, miter saw, hammer, wrench, goggles, tape measure, drill and drill bits, pencil, box cutter, level, chisel. He adds a caveat about how people call him "a fool for not using a table saw". I agree. Here is a list of other tools I have needed/been greatly aided by in my construction up until this point (which involves almost nothing in the overall picture of building a tiny house):
 
1. Brushes - He lists "pencil", but not brushes? Am I to believe that he used no stain on any of the exterior boards of his house? Or, since it's obvious that he has used stain, that he took a big swig of Olympic Semi-Transparent and spat it all over the boards until achieving a nice, even finish? I find this prospect unlikely.

2. Nail punch - I realize that he mostly uses screws for outside construction, but he does mention nails for finishing work. And, unless you want to have nails sticking out all over the place or have a bunch of hammer dents in your finishing material, you damn well need a nail punch. Or perhaps he just got a really really hard pencil and used that. 

3 & 4. Painter's mask or bandanna and gloves - Eye safety, but nothing to stop yourself from inhaling particulate matter or your hands from getting torn up?

5. Sandpaper - Come on. Everything you bought could make a baby's butt look like crocodile skin?

6. Orbital sander - I'm not sanding 1200 lineal feet by hand.

7. Caulking gun - If you refer to the "screw and glue" method, I hope you're not referring to Elmer's glue. Liquid Nails, the only stuff even worth using for structural applications, will only come out of a caulking gun. I'm assuming I'll need that again when I work on the bathroom and the sink).

8 & 9. Car jacks and jack stands - Pretty important, especially if you can't complete the house in a month and it needs to sit out for a long time (and flatten the tires so you have problems on a long trip, something which I have absolutely no experience with whatsoever :| )

10. Corded drill with high speed steel drill bit - This is the only way that I know of to get through the angle iron of the trailer to bolt the house down.

11. Razor scraper - A very easy way to undo a bit of overzealous caulking.

12 & 13. Power washer and spray gun for stain/paint - Admittedly a luxury item, it can make life very easy. However, when using a spray gun, use only oil based stains. Water-based paint or stains screw up the gun and leave a bunch of spotty water marks on your boards.

I've almost doubled the list right there and my house is barely more than a wood box right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment