Friday, April 22, 2011

First Night in the Tiny House

Okay, I still haven't completed the story of the trip down, and the next few posts will probably involve a LOT of catching up and disjointed, chronologically out of place updates until I'm all caught up to speed on this blog, but oh well. Eventually I'll even it out...

I guess the biggest update is that I slept in the tiny house for the first time last night. Well, it was more of a camp over than a move in type situation, but I spent the night in there nevertheless.



It was actually really great. Because the house has very little weight in the bottom of it, every time I moved the slightest bit, the house would sway back and forth. Even breathing seemed to make it more like sleeping in a boat than sleeping in a house. Still, I got to see the stars as I slept, wake up with the sun streaming in that window behind me (it faces directly east), and it was a lot cooler out there than in the much bigger house I usually sleep in.

Speaking about not a lot of weight...



We weighed the house about a week ago. 2580 pounds. Taking off the 900 pounds that the trailer weighs, that gives me 1680 pounds of tiny house. The trailer can only take 2600 pounds total weight, so I've got a little less than half a ton to work with. I'm not entirely sure that's going to be enough (I'm pretty sure it won't be), but I should be able to get some new springs in the trailer to beef... er... tofu it up to 6000 pounds.

Other than putting up some Strong Ties in the rafters and cutting out hundreds of Jenga-esque blocks to help the future insulation stay in place, that's what's happened with the house in the past week as far as physical action is concerned. My mom and I have spent a lot of time in and around the house just looking at it and brainstorming ideas. I think we came up with some really neat ones last night (such as how to merge the ladder to the loft with a bookshelf we'll eventually build.) The first item on our agenda, however, is to get some siding on and give the house a much needed departure from the Tyvek Box I've grown accustomed to staring at.

Okay, I think that's it. To close, and for seemingly no reason, here's a picture of me learning how to use a bench grinder...



- N

No comments:

Post a Comment